ELECTED OFFICIAL PAGE
In December 2020, Emily was re-elected for a fourth full term as Village Trustee and was appointed Deputy Mayor. The first women to hold this position in the Village of Haverstraw.
Fourteen years ago, Emily was elected Trustee in the Village of Haverstraw and appointed Commissioner to the Village Department of Youth and Family Services. During her first year in office, Emily secured $120,000 in additional funding to support the needs and wants of the Village people. She secured funding to allow the Village to extend summer day camp from a previous six weeks, to an eight full weeks, purchase additional recreation equipment, and establish a gang prevention program for at-risk youth. In addition, Emily brought in more than $550,000 in grant money to the Village of Haverstraw for various projects and departments.
Emily has been fundamental in the development of innovative programs and projects that include:
- Senior & Youth Summer Pilot Program– During the summer, the youth of Haverstraw connect with the Haverstraw seniors and engage on different projects such as reading and gardening. The older children discover stories about the early life of the seniors in the community and create videos to preserve the seniors’ stories.
- Bilingual Training Program-Provided free Spanish-to-English translation training for Haverstraw Service Providers in Haverstraw.
- Village Marketing Committee- Rebranded Haverstraw and increase small business awareness.
- Haverstraw Center Hours– Added additional hours (nights & weekends) at the Haverstraw Center with no additional funding.
- New Gateway Entrance– Development of new “Downtown Haverstraw” sign to aid in promoting downtown businesses to stimulate the growing Haverstraw economy.
- Corporal Manny Lopez Ball Field– Emily helped open the Corporal Manny Lopez Ball Field in 2010. Additionally, Emily joined forces with other community leaders and volunteers to build a concession stand for the new facility.
- Village Newsletter– Created a Village of Haverstraw News letter and update the Village website.
- Village Website – Project liaison on creating a new village website
- Funding secured through Former DA Zugibe for Cameras in our Community Center
- Funding secured through Senator Skoufis for generator backup for our sewer system
Emily is now the Commissioner of the Corporal Manny Lopez Ball Field, Parking Enforcement and the Department of Public Works.
Awards & Honors
- 2017 La Junta Distrital Canca La Piedra
- 2016 El Ayuntamiento de Tamboril
- 2016 Appointed Deputy Mayor of the Village of Haverstraw
- 2016 Citizen of the Year from the Haverstraw Elks Lodge
- 2014 Emily became the first Hispanic in Rockland to be accepted by and attend The Women’s Campaign School at Yale University.
- 2014 Women of Leadership & Vision Award
- 2011 NYS Small Business Development Center Latina Entrepreneur of the Year
- 2011 County of Rockland Distinguished Service Award
- Certificates of recognition for community service & Hispanic Heritage Month from:
- Congresswoman Lowey
- Assemblyman Ken Zebrowski
- Former County Executive C. Scott Vanderhoef
- Town of Clarkstown, Town of Haverstraw, St. Peters Church, and Quisqueya Sports Club